Saturday, January 18, 2014

Reading Incentive Bucket for the Classroom

Hello everyone!  I hope you're ready for the 3-day weekend...  I know I sure am!  I don't have a card to share today, but I do want to show you a project that I did for my classroom.  This is an idea I saw on Pinterest, and I just had to make it.  I use it as an incentive to get my students to achieve more Accelerated Reader points at school.  They have a goal of making 4 points a month, and if they reach the goal they get to "pick" a sucker from the READ bucket.  This has been a major hit in my classroom!

Here's a picture of mine, and my friend Sarah's.  My sister also made one, but she made it after this picture was taken.  :)  We have all found this to be very successful for us!

The letters on this one were cut using white vinyl, on the Cricut using Doodletype- size 2".  I then embellished it with some blingy flower stickers I had in my supplies.

The letters on this one are 1.5".  We glued the letters down onto a layered rectangle with rounded corners.  Then we mounted it to the metal bucket using foam tape.  Added some bling, and it was done.

I just put a Styrofoam ball inside my bucket (just kinda wedged it in there), then I stuck the suckers into the ball.  You can see that the ball is just sitting in the top of the bucket, and can be lifted out (no adhesive holding it in there).

Now for the super fun part!  When the students come over to "pick" a sucker, they have a chance of getting one with a green stick.  If they get a green stick, they will ALSO get a prize from the treasure box.  Everyone holds their breath when someone is picking their sucker, and they all cheer if it has green on the bottom!  :)
 
I think this would be a hit with many different grade levels.  My friend Sarah and I teach 2nd grade, and my sister teaches Kindergarten.  All of the kids love it!  Hope you can use it in your classroom too!  Thanks for stopping by!  :)

2 comments:

Brenda said...

This is a fabulous idea!!! Where was pinterest when I was in the classroom?! lol I do love this idea and can see that it works well, my favorite part is the green mark on a sucker. I can see everyone holding their breath! lol

Brenda said...

This is a fabulous idea!!! Where was pinterest when I was in the classroom?! lol I do love this idea and can see that it works well, my favorite part is the green mark on a sucker. I can see everyone holding their breath! lol