Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Get Well Soup Mix in a Jar

Hi there!  Today I have a fun project for you that is not a card!  I have to admit I have a little obsession with gifts that you can give in a jar...  I don't know why, but I really love things that come in jars!  I think they look so cute, they are easy to make, and they make people feel special!  So today, our DT challenge at Joy's Life was to create a project with a tag on it...  As soon as I saw this sentiment, I knew I had to make a soup mix in a jar!  I actually made these for Christmas a couple years ago.  The soup tastes really good, but people don't want to use it because it looks too pretty!  I will post the recipe at the bottom of this post, just in case you want to try giving this to someone too...  :)




Tags, Bags, Boxes & More- tags cut at 4.53", 3.94"
From My Kitchen- bowl cut at 2.18"
Joy's Life Stamps- Tag You're It: Set Two
Jute cord
Wide-mouth jar
Friendship Soup Mix (recipe below)

Well folks, there's my project with a tag on it!  I think this would really brighten someone's day...  I didn't have all of the ingredients for the soup mix, so I improvised!  :)  Thanks for stopping by!

Friendship Soup Mix in a Jar
1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup dried minced onion
1/2 cup green or yellow dried split peas
1/4 cup wild rice
1/3 cup long-grain white rice
1/2 cup red or brown lentils
1/2 cup elbow macaroni
1 to 1 1/4 cups tri-colored corkscrew pasta (or enough to fill jar)

1.  Layer ingredients in order given into 1-quart wide-mouth jar with tight-fitting lid.  Pack down firmly after each layer.  Seal jar.

Friendship Soup
*Attach these instructions to the jar when you give it to someone.

1 jar Friendship Soup Mix
6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable stock
6 cups water
1/2 to 1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained (optional)

1.  Remove colored pasta from jar; set aside.

2.  Pour stock and water into 5- to 6-quart saucepot.  Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.  Add remaining contents of jar; return to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover; simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until rice, lentils, and peas are tender.

3.  Add colored pasta and meat, if desired, to soup.  Return to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover; simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer or until pasta is done.  Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 12 servings
 
*Recipe from www.pilcookbooks.com

13 comments:

jessica said...

What a GREAT project!!!!

Georgiana said...

Great project! You are right, I have a cookie one sitting on the shelf as a collectible instead of using it. : )

Stay Creative,
Georgiana
Carson's Creations

Brenda said...

This frienship soup is awesome Amy! I love jar gifts too and this one is a keeper! Your tag is "souper" cute! Thanks for the recipe!!

Life and Knits said...

This is the sweetest tag. Great project idea. TFS
Susie

girlia said...

Love this idea! Great job

Pat N. said...

Wow, very nice. A souper tag for a souper gift!--Pat N.

Sarabeth aka Sarita said...

what a sweet idea and thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!

sarabeth

Anonymous said...

I made this for my neighbor as a thank you for shoving the snow in our drive way. It looks great! But when my family ate the same thing for dinner the pepper was way to much I think IT NEEDS TO BE be 1 tsp NOT 1 TB. Other then that taste great and now breathing fire with cleared sinus.

Nancy said...

Thank you I have been looking for recipes in a jar for a couple years now! I will definitely use this one. Loveit!

Homemade For Friends said...

I love your gift tag idea Amy! I just posted a dried mix recipe on my blog (at http://HomemadeForFriends.com) for a Turkish Lentil Soup, and mentioned your cute "Get well souper soon" tag. Thanks for sharing! :)
~ Melissa

Homemade For Friends said...

Hi Amy,

I loved your gift tag so much that I also mentioned your fab idea on my recent article about homemade food gifts at:
http://homemadeforfriends.com/2014/01/17/get-well-soon-gift-tags/

All the best!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

The picture does not match the recipe given at all. Picture looks like: minced onion, green split peas, black rice, white rice, more green peas then more black rice. What gives?

Anonymous said...

I agree should be 1 tsp pepper not 1 tablespoon