Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Making Paper Roses

Hey everyone!  After I made paper roses for a birthday card, I had a lot of people ask how to make them.  I did not come up with this formula for making these roses.  I watched a video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edApDLVUWSw.  The crafter's name is Kathy and her website is http://www.paperphenomenon.blogspot.com/.  She has some awesome creations on there!  :)  Since I know some people follow step by step pictures better than a video, I have followed Kathy's steps and I am going to outline them for you in this post....  Cool!  :)

These are the supplies you will need:  hot glue gun, scissors, something to curl your petals back (I used my Gypsy stylus), 3 flowers (cut at 2.75" from George and Basic Shapes using the Shadow/Blackout feature).  You can use any size flowers you would like, but all 3 need to be the same size.


You are then going to cut 1 petal from the first flower (and throw that one petal away), and cut 2 petals from the second flower (do not throw those petals away).


You will be left with 5 pieces in all: a flower missing 1 petal, a flower missing 2 petals, an intact flower, and the 2 petals you cut off (they are kind of shaped like a heart).  Take the intact flower and make an "x" in the center with your scissors.  You are then going to make the "cones" using your cut flowers.  You roll them in on themselves forming a "cone" where two of the petals are overlapping exactly, and you hot glue them together.  The smallest piece (the heart shaped piece) needs to be rolled in on itself.  Just start on one end and roll it until you get a look you like and hot glue it, this will be the center of your finished rose.  Your flower that had 3 petals will now look like it has 2, the flower with 4 petals will now look like it has 3 petals, etc.  The intact flower does not get rolled into a "cone".


Now you need to roll the edges of your flowers.  I used the stylus from my Gypsy (like I saw in the video).  You need to curl the edges of all of your flowers, from the tiny center piece to the large flower with the "x" in the middle.


Now it's going to start looking like a rose!  Take the big flower with an "x" and put some hot glue around the center.  Take the "cone" that has 3 petals and push it through the "x".  Apply more hot glue to the center of the "cone" with 3 petals, and then push the "cone" with 2 petals into the center.  Then you will be left with the last piece that will be the center of your rose.


Turn your rose over and snip off the bottom.  This will give you a bigger area to push the center of your rose through.  Turn the rose back over, put some hot glue in the middle and push through the last "cone" that will be the center of your rose.  VOILA!  You have a finished rose!  :)  You can snip off the back again to make it more flat to adhere it to cards or scrapbook pages.  I adhered my roses to my card by using hot glue. 


I hope this tutorial helps someone out there!  These sure were fun to make and I think they look almost real! :)  Make sure to check out the video, Kathy does a great job of explaining the steps.  See ya later!

13 comments:

MyCuriousCrafts said...

Hi Amy, great tutorial my friend. Kathy is amazing...love her. Thanks for doing the picture tutorial for everyone. Great job! ~Shen

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing this Amy. This was a lot of work, you are so sweet to do it for everyone. Hugs, Pam at http://craftycards4u2.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for posting this, Amy! I watched that same tutorial a while ago, made the roses and loved them and then forgot where I saw it when I wanted to make more later! I am going to print out your instructions for easy reference! So thank you again and also CONGRATULATIONS on winning the Paper Variety challenge! Your one of a kind card is soo awesome :D

Lisa
http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

Susie said...

Hi Amy! I love your blog! You have so many great ideas. Thanks for visiting my blog! :-) I'm so excited to start in this new blogging journey.

Susie
www.crafty-bug-susie.blogspot.com

Cely said...

so cute! would've never thought that you did some cut outs on each flower to make it so 3d!

KraftyKoolKat said...

Gorgeous flowers sweetie. Thank you for the instructions.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Jenni said...

Super tutorial and the roses are just perfect!
Hugs, Jenni

Pat (mspfd) said...

Fabulous flowers. Thanks so much for sharing the instructions!

Dr Sonia S V said...

Amy so beautifully illustrated and happy you did a picture tutorial as I am one of those people like you said who hates to sit through a video!!

Loraine said...

Great tutorial!! Thanks for following me at my blog. I'm now following you! I can't wait to see more. I taught first grade for several years so you are a woman after my own heart!! T

Loraine

kisatrtle said...

I might have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Karen H said...

Thank you for putting together this tutorial, Amy! :o) I was one who fell in love with those flowers, so I'm excited to see this post. I can't wait to make some! :o)

Hugs and blessings! :o)

Tez Estes said...

Fabulous flowers. Thanks so much for sharing the instructions!